The vision of the ASAP project is to move from words to action, from guidelines and recommendation to their strategic implementation, and, ultimately, from ad-hoc activities to integrated sustainability across the operation of National Olympic Committees (NOCs). In concrete terms, the mission of the project is, for the “mentee” NOCs, to create, adopt and start implementing integrated sustainability strategies in their organisations, and for the “mentor” NOCs to further improve their operations by sharing and learning from each other and from other experts in the field.
By translating existing recommendations, guidelines, and best practises into a practical hands-on approach, and by giving this approach a strategic framework, the project aims to help partner organisations integrate sustainability into the very core of their operations, into their purpose.
To do so, the three years-long project uses a mentor-mentee working method bringing together “sustainability-experienced” NOCs with “sustainability beginners”. It draws on the expertise and experiences of the Olympic movement partners and external sustainability experts.
In concrete terms, PROJECT PARTNERS WILL
- Train sustainability managers and develop a model “Introduction to sustainability training programme” for sport organisations
- Develop and refine Organisational screening tool for NOCs and umbrella sport organisations to help them assess their baseline
- Develop Sustainability Strategy Creation Roadmap, External Communications Cheatsheet, and case studies to illustrate the internal processes and possible pitfalls and to bring forward good practices for any umbrella sport organisation wishing to embark on the sustainability journey and/or move from ad-hoc initiatives to integrated sustainability approach
- Develop and adopt sustainability strategies (inc. action plans) and start their implementation (mentee NOCs with the help of the mentors).
- Refine existing strategies and activities (mentor NOCs)
- Raise awareness about the need for, and the benefits and potential of, an integrated sustainability approach.
COMMON PROJECT ACTIVITIES
- Training for sustainability managers
- Six in person meetings, two online meetings, and one conference
- Five awareness raising events at national level
- Communications activities at project and national level promoting sustainability
- Production of the above-outlined project outputs and their promotion
- Coordinator (and mentee): Czech Olympic Committee
- Mentees: Slovak Olympic and Sport Committee, Hungarian Olympic Committee
- Mentors: German Olympic Sports Confederation, National Olympic Committee and Sport Confederation of Denmark, Finnish Olympic Committe
- Implemented in cooperation with the International Olympic Commitee and other Olympic movement organisations
- Duration: 1 January 2020 – 31 December 202
- Co-financed: Erasmus + Programme of the European Union
- Erasmus + Sport Programme priority: To promote and support good governance in sport